Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Celebrate...


Saturday I went to our local Burbank Relay for Life event. While this was my second Relay event this seemed to hit me a bit harder. I think it was simply being truly in the moment and taking in everything that I was seeing, feeling and hearing. I really looked at all of the faces of my fellow survivors. We were all there proudly wearing our purple shirts, putting our hand-prints on the canvas and celebrating our lives. We shared understanding nods as if to say I respect you and the journey you have been on. I know it may not have been easy but look at where we are now...

The event also allowed me the chance to visit with some very special people. People that continue to touch and inspire me.

Sully came along and was quite the trooper through the presentations and speeches. He took most of the wonderful pics above. Following the survivor lap he and I went to all of the booths and looked at how they were choosing to "celebrate" the event. Then the two of us went to the playground where I caught a pic of the big little guy in action.



Ancora Imparo
Marla

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an uplifting, inspiring day...and it is marvelous that we have evidence of two of the great photographers in your family! I loved the picture of your hand-print, and the one of Sully on the ropes.

We are off to Charleston Friday. Happy Fourth of July to all!!!!

With love.

Marilyn, Fred and Betty

Aaron said...

Good for you (and Sully)! I'm sure it hit your harder for all the reasons you state, but also because you now have the perspective, and relative amount of normalcy in your day-to-day life, that is even more poignant one year later.

Wishing you, Mike and Sully all the best for the holiday weekend and always.

Aaron