Thursday, May 8, 2008

Visit with Grandma...

Howdy Folks,

I went to visit my Grandma today. It was important to me to show her that I am recovering well 3 weeks post surgery. I caught her napping (not all that unusual) so I shouted "Hi Grandma" to awaken her and was greeted with "Who's here?" (again not all that unusual.) I said "It's Marla" and then was greeted with "Marla, my darling Marla, thank g-d. I lived to see you" (that was actually quite unusual.)

Grandma is now 88 and sadly spends most of her time sleeping. It's a choice she has made and she has been through a lot in her life to bring her to where she is now. Thanks to the folks at GAPB for taking such excellent care of her.

Our conversation was brief today. She asked several questions. Sadly they were all the same. I try to find creative ways to answer her so I am not spending the entire visit repeating myself. I think it is my way to cope with her diminishing memory.

Following my visit with Grandma I had a doctors appointment with my oncologist. I have gained another 1/2 pound so I am now back up to my pre-surgery check-in weight. My healing is progressing and it looks like Chemo will start in 2 weeks. I was given a referral for physical therapy -- to get the mobility back in my right arm and shoulder.

All in all it was a great day.

Ancora Imparo
Marla

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a mitzvah to go see your grandma...and how glorious it is to know that you are out and about.

The weight gain is good news...and the physical therapy will make a world of difference for you.

We are all thinking of you daily (I check your blog several times a day, just so I will get all the news that you share almost immediately), and wish the 3 of you strength and courage and joy and resilience.

Fred got a real boost from talking to Mike on the phone last Wednesday...and he thought of and originated that call himself! Another sign of returning mental sharpness and follow through.

G-d bless us all.

With love to you always,

Marilyn, Fred and Betty

Anonymous said...

Dear Marla,

I be hearin of your blogsite from your younger brother Brad. He be helpin' me at what I do and can appreciate that but I don't know what you be sayin with you Grandma.

She be sleepin with a lot people or what that be okay if she be 88 but I get put out myself on that so I don't wnat you to worry none

It be nice and all that you let us speak on your site and that Grandma of your just be wantin a more good ole times. I no it cause it be true with me too on that.

Right On

Willie G